The City of Portsmouth’s Peirce Island Wastewater Treatment Facility (WWTF) is underway! The project is the largest that the City has undertaken, and expands treatment at the plant to an advanced secondary process which removes organics and nitrogen.
For more information on this project:
To report an issue, please fill out a
Donald Song, P.E, Project Manager,
Tel: (603) 610-7305
Terry Desmarais, P.E, City Engineer
Tel: (603) 766-1421
Monthly public meetings with City staff, the Contractor and other officials involved in the project are held every third Wednesday each month at 11 a.m. in Council Chambers to ensure that citizens are informed; these meetings are broadcasted and available on the City’s YouTube channe
l, with presentations and notes available at Wastewater Public Meetings
. The next public meeting is December 21, 2016. A project update will also be provided to the City Council on Monday, January 9, 2017, and public meetings will resume in 2017 on January 18, February 15, March 15 and April 19.
The Coming Week
(Current Schedule 01/20/2017 - 01/27/2017)
Anticipated Construction Traffic Volume: Moderate
This work this week will include, but not be limited to:
- Blasting and installation of yard piping
- Test pits at various locations in the plant in preparation for future work
- Installation of water and sewer piping around perimeter of the plant
- Installation of provisions for temporary power
- Continue site work at the south end (Shapleigh Island side) of the facility
- Continued work on force main on the bridge
- Provisions of temporary chemical feed system
- Start Date: September 2016
- BAF Substantial Completion: December 2019
- Secondary Permit Compliance: April 2020
- Project Substantial Completion: May 2020
- Final Completion: August 2020
- Design Engineer: AECOM
- General Contractor: Methuen Construction
- Design Flow: 6.1 MGD average
- New Treatment Processes:
- New Headworks
- Biologically aerated/anoxic filter (BAF) using the Kruger BioSTYR ™ technology for Secondary Treatment and Nitrogen Removal
- Rotary screw presses for solids dewatering
News and Updates
Recreational Impact Advisory
State Fish Pier: No restrictions – Open
Public Boat Launch: No restrictions. Open seasonally.
Four Tree Island Parking Lot: Open. Expansion planned for Spring 2017. Additional notice will be provided at a later date.
Four Tree Island : No restrictions - Open.
Off-leash Dog Area: Closed. No dogs allowed on Peirce Island from the bridge.
Peirce Island Outdoor Pool Access: Currently Unrestricted – Open seasonally.
Map of Project Area
Designated Map of Construction Traffic Route
Related 2016 YouTube Meetings
To view all the videos in the below playlist, click on the three bar icon on the top left.